Coaching Parents to Enable Children’s Participation
Parents play a critical role in supporting the learning, occupational performance and social participation of their children, particularly when children are challenged by tasks that are typically achievable by their peers. Parents also have needs and aspirations related to their own learning and performance within their parenting roles that are relevant to providing family-centred services. Occupational Performance Coaching (OPC) is proposed as an intervention which is family- and occupation-centred, enablement-focused and research informed. OPC involves working alongside parents to achieve parents’ goals for themselves, their children and/or their families. In OPC therapists utilise performance analysis, problem-solving, occupational and disability knowledge to guide parents’ exploration of changes that facilitate goal achievement.
- An understanding of the basis of occupational performance coaching (OPC) with reference to other interventions which support the use of OPC
- An understanding of the three domains, session format and therapeutic techniques used during OPC
- an understanding of how to effectively utilise parent coaching within their services. The workshop will also include practical sessions (ie case studies, videos/vingnettes) to assist participants integrate their knowledge and skills.
This workshop is suitable for allied health professionals. Arrival tea/coffee, morning/afternoon tea and lunch provided.
Venue: L'Aqua Function Centre
How to Get There:
- Via Bus – Take a bus to the Queen Victorian Building (QVB) and walk down Market Street towards Darling Harbour.
- Via Train -Alight at Town Hall Station and then walk down Druitt Street
- Via Taxi or Car – can be dropped off at Cockle Bay Wharf (look for the black canvas awning) in Wheat Road
- Via Light Rail – alight at the Pyrmont Bay stop and walk towards the city across Pyrmont Bridge
- Via Ferry – Catch a Sydney Ferry at Circular Quay and alight at Sydney Aquarium
- Darling Park Car Park – 201 Sussex St Sydney. Fees are: Early Bird (Monday – Friday): $27.00; Weekend: $15.00 flat rate (or online discount $23 or $12 respectively at wilsonparking.com.au)
L’Aqua Function Centre is only a short distance from many accommodation options within the Sydney CBD.